La Garderie's Promise:
We promise to build a child’s self esteem by...
- Establishing realistic, achievable goals and anticipate success.
- Allowing children to explore options in different situations.
- Rejecting the child’s behavior, but never reject the child.
- Valuing each child as an individual with unique strengths, needs, interests, and skills.
- Avoiding making assumptions about a child’s behavior.
- Never criticizing a child’s questions.
- Having conversations with every child.
- Avoiding bringing up past difficulties when discussing an issue or a problem.
- Providing multiple ways for children to be successful in the classroom, program or at home.
- Emphasizing the positive aspects of their behavior or performance even if the task was not completely successful; reward direction, and not perfection.
- Encouraging children to take risks.
- Offering choices to allow children to practice decision-making skills.
- Understanding that mistakes are an inevitable (valuable) part of any learning experience; use these as an opportunity to teach and assist.
- Never, ever communicate disappointment to a child.
- Maintaining a file of child’s academic work to demonstrate his or her progress and development when he or she is feeling down.
- Never comparing one child to another.
- Leaving my personal troubles at the door.
-The La Garderie Team-